Each week The Broke and the Bookish will post a new Top Ten list that one of their bloggers will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.
Today Over at The Broke and the Bookish they are talking about Top Ten Beach Reads (however YOU define a beach read!). Sadly it is again another year where I will not get a beach vacation but I do get summer reading. Reading that is in turns easy, compelling, sometimes huge and sometimes smutty. Here is my list for my poolside, park picnic, and lazy, rainy day summer reading.
1. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight – I have heard this compared to Gone Girl. I think I might have recovered from that enough to read another of a similar type.
2. The Love Song of Jonny Valentine by Teddy Wayne – I don’t even remember where I heard about this. But “viciously funny” sounds like something that needs to be on everyone’s beach list.
4. The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani – It is looking like this is going to be my first summer book club pick. One of the people who voted for it said “The Yonahlossee Riding Camp is ‘full of scandal, sex, and secrets….’ What else does a book in a book club need?”
5. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman – And this will be the second pick for the book club. They will not get a vote. They will not get a choice and they will LOVE IT! And my copy will be signed. SQUEEEE!
6. Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness – I read this first one last summer and I am looking forward to some pool time and this time traveling, vampire witch loving, 600 page sequel.
7. The Twelve (The Passage, #2) by Justin Cronin – I also read the first of these summer of 2011, 800 pages in 3 days. I read everywhere. I am not sure why it has taken me so long to get to the sequel. Maybe because now I will not have to wait so long for the third which comes out in 2014.
8. The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes – Time Traveling Serial Killer? Yup. And this has gotten some great buzz.
9. Doll Bones by Holly Black – Seriously creepy stuff. China dolls and curses and parents deciding when you too old to play.
10. Riveted (Iron Seas, #3) by Meljean Brook – Steampunk smut, almost as good as kilt porn but more respectable poolside. I am Loved the first of this series.