Today is not really about you, but I do love you if you are stopping by here to read. OK, I also love some folks who are not reading, but I love you more. The actual theme is “10 things I love about ‘x'”, where x=thing I love. Since I am trying to focus on both running and read you’ll get 5 about each love.
- “The Zone” – I know you know what I mean. That place where you don’t want to put down the book, where the story is everything, where hours fly by and suddenly you realize you have missed meals and phone calls and texts.
- “Signings” – I have not been to many but I have discovered I am willing to drive a ridiculous distance to listen to a favorite author speak/read and get a copy of a favorite book signed.
- “Sharing recommendations” – “Wait have you read this one?” “You need to borrow this one!” “I love this book and I know you will too.”
- “Escape” – Whether it is Narnia, Brakebills, Hogwarts, Pern or 100 other worlds, I get to be there for a little while. Sometimes for much too short a period of time. Sometimes I get to visit over and over. But those worlds are always beckoning me.
- “The Library” – I have been going to the same library now for about 15 years. I love the people and the events and the way that is smells and looks and the calm that exists in the place where I find community and books and laughter.
- “Sleep” – When I run I sleep. When I don’t run I don’t sleep much. This has a huge impact on my life. Sleep is good. As Jim Butcher says in Death Masks “Sleep is God. Go worship.”
- “Accomplishment” – I ran .25 miles more today. I got a PR. I ran for longer without stopping. There are very tangible achievements in running. If the rest of my day sucked often I can say but at least I ran.
- “Other Runners” – From the runners at races to the ones who help me find shoes that helped me run better to the ones online who answer 700 dumb questions a month. From the ones who run a 17 minute pace to the ones that run a 7 minute pace. I have yet to meet an unfriendly, unhelpful runner.
- & 5. “Zombies, Run” – This is the thing I love the most. I love the app. I love the company. I love the developers. I am so in debt to this thing and those people who make it. I am Runner 5 and I have saved Abel Township. I have laughed, cried, yelled and punched the air while running all because the world is so immersive. Now add to this a group of people online who I love more and more every day as they share my love for the app and I am discovering mutual support and encouragement and tons of love for each other. Yup this deserves two spots on the list.